Please accept our humble obeisances!
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
All glories to Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga!
According to Padma Purana, quoted by Srila Sanatana Goswami in his Hari-Bhakti Vilasa:
Kartik is the best, the purest of purifiers, and most glorious of all months. Kartik month is particularly dear to Lord Sri Krsna. Any vrata, even the smallest, will yield huge results. The effect of performing a Kartik Vrata lasts for one hundred lifetimes, whereas ordinary vratas only last for one lifetime! Srimati Radhika is the presiding deity of the holy month of Kartik. Rupa Goswami and others refer to Radharani as Kartik Devi; in other words, Radhika is the goddess or presiding Deity of the Kartik Vrata.
Specifically in the month of Damodara, one should daily worship Lord Damodara and take bath early in the morning, give charity and follow a fasting vow. This is the duty of Vaisnavas. - (HARI BHAKTI VILASA 16/3 from SKANDA PURANA)
Oh son Narada, those brahmanas who do not give charity in the month of Karttika, perform sacrifice, chant japa and fast for Lord Hari are the lowest of mankind. - (HARI BHAKTI VILASA 16/25 from SKANDA PURANA)
There is no other month equal to Karttika and there is no other yuga equal to Krta-yuga. There is no other scripture equal to Vedas. There is no other place of pilgrimage equal to Ganges, therefore, the month of Karttika is very dear to the Vaisnavas (people dedicated to Visnu). - (HARI BHAKTI VILASA 16/39,40 from SKANDA PURANA)
Oh great sage, after giving up all varieties of religious functions, one should follow Karttika fast and listen to the narrations of Lord Sri Hari before His Deity form. - (HARI BHAKTI VILASA 16/76 from SKANDA PURANA Lord Brahma speaks to Narada Muni)
Glories of offering a lamp in Kartika
- In the skanda Purana, Lord Brahma and Sage Narada, converse that "the month of Kartika is very dear to Lord Krsna".
- When one offers a lamp during the month of Kartika, his sins of many thousands and millions of births perish in half an eye blink.
- Even if there is no mantras, ni pious deeds, and no purity, everything becomes perfect when a person offers a lamp during the month of Kartika.
- A person who during the month of Kartika offers a lamp to Lord Keshava has already performed all yajnas (sacrifice for the pleasure of the Lord) and bathing in al the holy rivers.
- The ancestors say "when someone in our family pleases Lord Keshava by offering Him a lamp during the month of Kartika, then by the mercy of the Lord who holds the Sudarshan-Chakra in His hand, we will all attain liberation.
- To one who either at home or in a temple offers a lamp during the month of Kartika, Lord Vasudeva gives a great result.
- A person who. offer a lamp to Lord Krishna during the month of Damodara (Kartika) becomes very glorious and fortune.
- No sins exist anywhere in the three worlds that will not be purified by offering a lamp to Lord Keshava during Kartika.
- A person who offers a lamp to Lord Damodara during Kartika attains the eternal spiritual world where there is no suffering.
Sri Damodarastakam is sung during Kartika, also known as month of Damodara. As quoted in the Sri Hari Bhakti Vilasa,"In the month of Kartika one should wprship Lord Damodara and daily recite the prayer known as Damodarastaka, which has been spoken by Sage Satyavratra and which attracts Lord Damodara. (Sri Hari Bhakti Vilasa 2.16.198)"
Kartik month home programs:
Every year devotees of ISKCON Scarborough visit over 40 homes in just the month of Kartik to sing Sri Damodarastakam and perform arti on Lord Damodar. This year again the devotees will be visiting several homes to perform the spiritual activities.
Please contact Dhirnithai prabhu (647-292-5358) to book an evening. The available slots are getting filled up fast!
We warmly welcome you and your family to ISKCON Scarborough on Fridays(6.30 pm),Saturdays(6.30 pm) and Sunday(10.30 am) to offer ghee lamp to Lord Damodar
With best wishes from,
3500 McNicoll Avenue, Unit #3,